Fly Fishing Only Fly Fishing Only Fly Fishing Only Fly Fishing Only Fly Fishing Only Fly Fishing Only Fly Fishing Only

How fussy can they be?

Home Forums FLY FISHING ONLY FORUM How fussy can they be?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Fitzy 3 years ago.

• Author

Mike Holt
    Keymaster

Yesterday, along with another guy, I was reminded how fussy fish can be. Right in front of us – easily within casting range – fish worked a run for about 3-hours. Bugs everywhere. On the water, in the air and I’m assuming up and down the water column as we could see both mayflies and caddis popping up off the water.

I’m using the wind as an excuse for no fish instead of admitting I just couldn’t figure out what they were feeding on. 🙂

(I tried a lot of different patterns and techniques)

maineeagle
    Participant

At least you could see fish. How many times have we fished water thinking there were no fish there, when actually they just weren’t taking what we were offering.

Mike Holt
    Keymaster

Quite often is my guess. I remember plenty of times working water with nymphs and wets to no avail and then BOOM! – a hatch starts and the water shows fish all around the canoe. No wonder they call it fishing not catching 🙂

Mike Holt
    Keymaster

Quite often is my guess. I remember plenty of times working water with nymphs and wets to no avail and then BOOM! – a hatch starts and the water shows fish all around the canoe. No wonder they call it fishing not catching 🙂

Fitzy
    Participant

It is nice to see activity. Many times it is easy to think that there are no fish here.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.